In this episode, Heather and Liz explore popular Tropes and Cliches used in movies, tv, and literature. Seen it over and over? So have we.
Tropes and Cliches
We wanted to talk about the difference between a trope and a cliche, because we see the same things over and over in TV and movies, especially with the advent of binge watching due to streaming services, DVRs, and on-demand options.
- Boy meets girl/loses girl/gets girl back
- Will they/won’t they/ of course they will
Some of our discussion:
- Action stars will fight their way through 2,000 henchmen to get to the big bad, but won’t kill him because he doesn’t want to be “just as bad as him.’
- To change your life and everything about you, all you need is a makeover!
- Scientists have to say things deliberately complicated so that someone else can make the statement, “In English, please!”
- Every ensemble needs an idiot. [See potential scavenger hunt for Comicpalooza]
- “We need to talk.”
- It always rains at funerals.
- Underdog will always win.
- Badass female character must be perfect AND a physical badass.
PROMO: Home Video Hustle Podcast
Go check out our awesome Castaway friends and their amazing movie podcast! You can find them wherever you get your podcasts. Follow them on Twitter at @HVHPodcast
Support Your Nerdy Bitches
If you want to help support your favorite podcast, sign up to be a patron of the show! This will help us pay for the show, but also get to awesome things like Comicpalooza and other conventions and events to bring you the goods! Go check us out at www.patreon.com/nerdybitches.
Connect with us on Social Media
Check us out on all of our social media outfits and chat with us directly! We love hearing from you!
Be on the lookout for the Puppy Death Squad!