In this episode (117), Liz and Heather discuss “Books That Made Us.” This includes books from when Tiny Baby Liz and Tiny Baby Heather were young girls who loved reading! See what differences there are, even though they are the same age(ish).
Note: iTunes/Apple has changed their structure so we are no longer able to put the episode numbers in the show titles. Sorry about that…we know it’s a pain in the ass.
Books That Made Us
Long before we began the Nerdy Bitches Book Club, we were kids who loved to read just about anything we could get our hands on, including shampoo bottles! We are also noticing just how much where you live affects what you read or study in school. Apparently, Utah and Texas are worlds apart! Some of our joint favorite authors/series included:
- Beverly Cleary’s Ramona books
- Judy Blume’s coming of age tales (all of them)
- The Babysitter’s Club by Ann M. Martin (Here is the blog Liz mentions, but there are a bunch of them out there!)
- Sweet Valley Twins/High by Francine Pascal
- …and more!
Links to Books/Movies Mentioned
Here are Amazon links to the specific books we mentioned if you decide you want to pick one up. Full disclosure: these are affiliate links, so if you purchase, they will throw us a few pennies and it doesn’t raise the price for you at all. So buy some books, m’kay?
- Wayside School is Falling Down by Louis Sachar
- Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
- Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
- Goosebumps by R.L. Stine
- Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor Complete Year One by Titan Comics (coffee table book)
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy by Chronicle Books (coffee table book)
- Fudge Box Set by Judy Blume
- Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
- Blubber by Judy Blume
- Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume
- Dark Disciple by Christie Golden (*Nerdy Bitches Book Club Selection)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray
- Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston
- The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney (And yes, it was a TV movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113008/)
- The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
- Disclosure by Michael Crichton (this is the shitty book Liz stopped reading)
- Amelia Bedilia by Peggy Parish
- Guardians of the Galaxy (movie)
- Go Ask Alice and Jay’s Journal by Anonymous
- Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene
- The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Werner
- Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol
- The Babysitter’s Club by Ann M. Martin (series)
- Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High by Francine Pascal
- Chain Letter by Christopher Pike
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
- I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier
Listen to us over on the Podcoin app!