In this episode, Liz and Heather talk about ComicCon Prep for the upcoming comic con season. This is also our first official episode to talk about our participation in the 2016 Comicpalooza Podcast Partnership Program! You can follow our information on Twitter and Instagram and stuff at #Comicpalooza #CPPodFam #CPHOU and #CPHTX.
This will be Liz’s first convention, so Heather will school everyone on how to do the cons well. The one thing that separates this kind of con from the classic “flea market comic book show” that we may have seen on The Simpsons is really the celebrity guests, and most of them will interact with the con-goers, which is awesome.
So, here are some things you need to know to be prepared.
- Download the convention app – Make sure you check the schedule often and keep up with the changes, in case there is a change in location/time.
- Ways to see celebrities: Sign up to get an autograph (paid) or a picture (also paid), but also the celebrity Q & As (moderated panels).
- Visit the Dealer Room often! They sell everything you can think of. Think about bringing a wheeled bag because shit gets heavy over time. Also make sure to visit Artist Alley. This is where we met Sarita Ackerman last year, who generously donated her amazing portrait of Wonder Woman that we raffled off last year.
- Think about getting a hotel room if you live far enough away because you have a place to stash your stuff, but you also have somewhere to crash.
- Buy your passes early! And if you think you only want to go to one or two days, think about buying the three-day pass because you really get the most bang for your buck.
What to expect:
- There are going to be a LOT of people there. Be prepared to stand in lines. Lots of lines. And the Q&A lines start very early.
- LOTS of walking. Wear comfortable shoes. Remember to wear your activity tracker! (Liz’s recommendation for those looking for an alternative to a fitbit – the Spire. It tracks your emotional health based on respiration, in case you have some anxiety or panic issues, it can help calm you down before it gets into a massive issue.
- Be on the lookout for quiet rooms or areas where you may be able to sit and take a rest if you tend to get overwhelmed. Bring some earbuds to zone out.
- There will be little kids there, so be sure to notice how adorable they are.
Dos and Don’t
- DO: Comfortable shoes
- DO: Bandaids (for blisters)
- DO: Cross-shoulder/messenger bag to carry things around so that you have open hands.
- DO: Check for off-site activities. There could be several activities that take place as a group after the main con concludes for the day.
- DO: Go on Friday, even if its later. The lines for tickets will be shorter.
- DO: Make friends! You will be sitting in line and chatting with people! Talk to the cosplayers and appreciate their costumes.
- DO: Go early
- DO: Get the multi-day pass, even if you only go two days (usually cheaper and it is a lot cheaper).
- DO: Go to headliner Q&As early! They will fill up quickly.
- DON’T: Make fun of other people. People have put a lot of time and money into this.
- DON’t: get frustrated.It’s easy to get annoyed, but most of these people are volunteers and they are don’t the best they can.
- DON’T be a dick.
You will have to pay for parking. The cons in Texas are all on the lightrail lines, so plan it out. If you go early, you can park in the Discovery Green underground parking, or if you are staying at the hotel, so you can park though there (again, paid).
We are looking so forward to getting out into the people and we will be passing out our Nerdy Bitches podcast stickers and perhaps some other giveaways…So be on the look out for both Liz and Heather! We will be Tweeting/Facebooking/Instagramming out way through.
Discovery Green across the street had a lunch place by the lake. On the East side of the convention center, the parking is cheaper over there. Lucky’s pub is close by and a good place to eat, along with several other eateries. But, the NERDOM place is Neil’s Bahr – The geekiest bar in town (no food), but lots of games, comics, and you will probably see all of the podcast folks hanging out there. Some of the celebs might also be there.. who knows?
Comicpalooza Guest List (Click here for the full guest list)
- Aliens Reunion
- Boondock Saints Reunion
- Walking Dead dudes
- Kate Beckinsale
- Peter Meyhew (Chewbacca) and David Prowse (inside the Vader suit)
Other Cons coming up:
- Dallas Fan Days (First weekend in June) – Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
- Space City Con (Memorial Days Weekend – NRG Convention Center) – Alex Kingston (River Song)
Keep listening for all of the episodes we will have coming up on Comicpalooza!
- Liz: Spire activity tracker (emotional tracker)
- Healther: Clark’s shoes