In the Holiday Gift Guide episode, Liz and Heather talk about some awesome gifts to give to the geek/nerd in your life.
A big congrats to Liz’s sister on the birth of the newest little nerdy bitch, Miss Olivia! She’s super cute!
It’s hard to buy gifts for geeks, if you are an outsider. Even if you are outside of someone’s specific geek genre, it can be a chore. In this episode, we talk about some good guidelines for buying for others without looking like a tool.
Think Geek is an awesome place to start. They have a fantastic gift giving guide for the holidays, and the “Gifts for Her” isn’t stupid condescending like other lists we have seen.
- Look into the fandoms that your geek likes and make sure you get the right one. (Star Trek vs. Star Wars – Do not mix these up)
- Be aware that gaming gifts can be tricky – they may not have the same console, or they may have already bought the latest and greatest. Perhaps a gift card towards a game is a better plan.
- Create a wish list with a lot of stuff on it in various price ranges. Too few things on the wishlist basically ruins the surprise of what people buy for you.
- Order EARLY – Things are often sold out or slow to ship or can be confused with the wrong order, and by the time you realize it is wrong, the thing you want may be sold out.
- Pay attention to the hints they are dropping – or flat out telling you what they want.
- DO NOT fall for the “I don’t want a gift” line if you are dating. It will go badly for you.
- DO NOT buy clothes. You will never get it right. Unless you are my mom.
- Be careful with jewelry. Rings have sizes, but so do necklaces. Cuff bracelets and long necklaces are usually safe.
- Don’t buy slippers. We don’t want them. No one wants them. Unless they are the Monty Python Bunny Slippers. (You also cannot wear slippers with dogs – FYI)
- DO NOT buy a lady any sort of kitchen appliance, apron, or vacuum. Even if they are really cool – don’t fall for it. There is still deep seeded resentment on the feeling that we are supposed to be cleaning.
Specific examples of holiday gift ideas:
- Death Star Waffle Iron
- USB Car Chargers (Flux Capacitor, R2D2, etc)
- D20 Mug and Death Star Tea Infuser
- Hermione’s Time Turner Necklace
- Check out Etsy for handmade gifts – Search for geeky gifts. My favorite is my Pixel People cross-stitch pattern maker where I got my Golden Girls and Star Wars patterns.
- Liz: Furiously Happy (Book) by Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess) – Super funny look at life with mental illness
- Heather: Producer Craig’s 2016 Zoo Calendar – buy a bunch of these and give as gifts.
Bitch of the Week (Liz): White Elephant Gift Exchanges – I keep getting screwed, so I refuse to participate anymore. Bah Humbug.